Monday, October 7, 2013

Heaven and Hell


10/7/2013
Today was heaven and hell combined. I awoke at 4:45 a.m. for a crossfit class at 5:45, after spending the weekend at my ten year law school reunion. Needless to say, I did look up the workout the night before at midnight and I dreaded every minute preparing for it. 
As you can tell already, I form habits and stick to them…I took the dogs for their exercise, got ready, and yawning the entire time, headed to the gym. I knew I had another 10-20 pounds or so in my legs from Friday, and I didn’t feel sore, so that is where I set my benchmark. As predicted, I pumped 315 pounds on my squat. It actually wasn’t that bad either. To this day, with the exception of Friday, my maximum ever was 215. That’s a 100 pound jump in less than a month. Needless to say, my strength keeps jumping off the charts. 
We did our workout after that which consisted of 30 pull-ups (assisted), 30 box jumps, 30 front squats, and a mile run. My back still doesn’t like the jarring, so I rowed 2000 meters instead in about 9 minutes or so. After that workout, the soreness set in that I didn’t have on Friday. I felt lethargic the entire day. However, true to what I’ve been taught, it’s always good to exercise again, albeit with different exercises….which leads me to the next item on my journey: hip hop dance. 
It’s an amazing workout and the perfect movement to continue to work my muscles actively, while still allowing them to recover. A video of the finished routine after an hour of work can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100400035093308&l=3444799408172383475
A friend of mine from Dance Kaleidoscope teaches the class on Monday nights, and it will undoubtedly become part of my regular routine. It’s a lot of fun, but challenging in a much different way. Very much like my friend, Pipere’s, Kettleworx and kickboxing class…it’s a welcome change, and it works the heart rate for sure. In summation, today’s post is about mixing it up….it’s worth exploring in my opinion because you may just fall into something you really enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment