Tuesday, October 1, 2013

And So It Begins...


10/1/2013
Today marks day one of my journey of fitness, specific goals, and overall wellness. I’ve always been active since I was a kid, but back in April, I suffered a severe setback in my fitness: I herniated my L5 in my back which developed into sciatica. As a result, I could not walk for over two weeks, and I could no longer do the things I love such as running, biking, and yoga. The doctor still allowed swimming, but even walking to the pool or my VASA trainer presented an insurmountable task. Rewind a few months to January 1, 2013…I already started my training for Ironman 70.3 Oceanside at the end of March en route to my third Ironman in November in Cozumel, Mexico. I lived in Burlington, VT at the time, and I had dropped nearly 35 pounds during my training. I found that eating remained, as everyone said, the key. During that three month period, I broke thru my walls on the bike, the run, and the swim. I didn’t even really have to work that hard per se. I ran fartleks regularly (no distance) and tested myself at around a 1:55 half marathon. On the swim, with the help of my VASA trainer (www.vasatrainer.org), I dropped from a 1:45 100 Yard swimmer to a 1:19 in just a few short weeks. Finally, with my computrainer, I could crack a half ironman course in under 3 hours most of the time. Needless to say, I was in good shape. However, as we move back toward April and near the Boston marathon (I was not running it – only cheering my friends on), I sustained my injury. Flat out honest: it depressed me. I kept eating not only the volume of calories, but opted for the chips and dip, the hot dogs, the burgers, instead of the lentils, eggs, greens, and other great foods that I learned to love. It started a downward spiral for a few months as well into the bottle. This injury, coupled with the events of the Boston Marathon served to not motivate me, but rather to push me down. It’s my fault and my doing. I let it happen. 

No More. 

No More

No More.

Today marks my public journey, in fact, very public journey to reach my full potential as an athlete and a human being. Armed with my lessons learned, my nutrition coaching from Brittany Rogers (Fit W Britt) and my book “You Can Heal Your Life” by Louise Hay, I embark today on a journey that will last a lifetime. Keep tuned for more on what I’ve been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment